Simon & Garfunkel & The Sound of Silence
Sound of Silence
I'd consider myself a slightly larger than average Simon & Garfunkel fan. And so I feel fairly confident in saying that 'The Sound of Silence' is one of their better, and more different sounding songs. And I'd also like to clarify- Yes, I am well aware that Disturbed has covered this song, and no that is not the version I'm thinking of. Although that is, in my opinion, arguably the greatest cover of all time. And I think that on top of Simon and Garfunkel's normal genius and talent, they excelled on a level of genius and talent that perfectly set up a world where Disturbed could take an icon of a song and transform it into maybe even more of an icon of a song. Anyways, the original 'Sound of Silence' has such an intriguing feel musically as well as lyrically. The harmonies are different than you would expect, and it is in such a minor key (I'm really not sure if all minor keys are the same, or if you can be even more minor than another key...) that it just sort of draws you in. It sounds lowkey kind of depressing, but also freeing at the same time. There is almost a push and pull feel the entire song coming from the lyrics, harmonies, story, etc. and it creates a very unique listening experience. 10/10 would recommend. And definitely check out Disturbed's cover too. But not until you listen to Simon and Garfunkel. Pay respects to the original, then you can decide which one is better ;)
I agree with you as both the Simon and Garfunkel and Disturbed versions are amazing and shine in their own different ways. I liked what you said about the minor feel but also freeing and epic sounding all at the same time I totally feel that. I haven't listened to many other Simon and Garfunkel songs but I will give them a shot for sure!
ReplyDeleteI really like all of the detail that you go in about this song. You talk about some of the background behind it and it adds a lot. I like that you talk about the meaning behind the music and what it portrays. It helps me visual what the song is like without even listening to it. Great job!
ReplyDelete