Good Vibrations


                                       

                                                   The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations! (1991, CD) | Discogs

 Not gonna lie, I was really considering skipping this weeks blog post. But then I remembered that this week had probably my favorite list of songs thus far. I mean for real- some dang good bangers. I was torn between the Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love" (I love this song and Phil Collins' cover), Chubby Checker's "The Twist" and many more but I ultimately decided to go with the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations". This song slaps. Honestly, the Beach Boys aren't my favorite. I like a good handful of their songs, but really more impressive to me than their sound is just the amount of music they were able to create. But this song is by far my favorite of theirs, and probably makes my top ten all time favorite songs list as well. I've always just enjoyed the funky vibe it gives off, really it's unlike anything I've ever heard, but until listening to it analytically I didn't realize how impressive this song actually is. Aside from the fact that Brian Wilson spent over 90 HOURS on this bad boy, it is just so complex and entertaining to listen to. It is captivating to me that I never realized until now the many different instruments in the background. For example, what the heck is a Theremin doing in a rock band's song? I don't know, but it works. The lyrics are barely audible, most of the time I can't understand a single word, and just when you think you've figured the piece out it changes again. This song is groovy, different, and overall just really kind of weird. But somehow it all just works. Thank goodness it does, for Brian Wilson and those 90 long hours' sake. 


GOOD VIBRATIONS




Comments

  1. I really admire that you have an artist that isn't your favorite, but still makes it into your top ten songs. Listen to these songs in class made it hard which one to go with, because they are all such good songs. It never ceases to amaze me just how much time some artists put into their music, it really shows their commitment to the industry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't Misbehavin'