I Got Rhythm (and a voice like none other)



Ethel Merman has a voice like none other! Her belting style is something I wish music of today still had. Some artists have pipes similar to hers, but if it is used today it is such a different style. Her voice, in my opinion, really makes the song what it is. Although I do think this song would be much different with a different voice type, I still think the music itself is very rich, interesting, and can stand on its own. You can hear many different brass instruments, and it just feels like New Orleans (assuming that that is in fact what New Orleans feels like..). This is some of my favorite Jazz that we've listened to in class because of the energy and upbeat. It is very different from some of the other earlier Jazz we listened to. It has none of the "crooning" or that soft, calm effect that so many of the others have. I love when she cuts off her sentences a little short, and belts the last word instead of singing it with the rest of the sentence. It helps me pay attention to the lyrics, and gives a little more meaning and directness to the belt- which I think is a pretty essential and major aspect of the song. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ain't Misbehavin'

Good Vibrations